After watching Steamboat Willie, Jr. and City Lights, answer each of the questions below in complete sentences. Number each of your answers to correspond with the question. Each question answer should be about one paragraph.
- Which of the films did you prefer, and why?
- In both films, the class conflicts of the day are portrayed. Is there a difference between how the two films portray them?
- Both films involve love stories. How would you characterize the differences between the two love stories? Was one more effective than the other, and why?
- Did you like the long storm scene in “Steamboat.”? This was shot before digital special effects. How do you think they did it?
- What did you think of the last scene and shots in “City Lights?” Please explain your reaction.
- Chaplin’s and Keaton’s success rested, in part, on the essential nature of the kind of character they chose to adopt as their screen persona, the “Tramp” and “Stoneface” respectively.” How would you describe and contrast the characteristics of each?