CIS 359 Case Study 2: Disaster Recovery (DR) Lessons Learned: September 11th
Case Study 2: Disaster Recovery (DR) Lessons Learned: September 11th
Read the article titled “9/11: Top lessons learned for disaster recovery,” from Computerworld.com, located athttp://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9219867/9_11_Top_lessons_learned_for_disaster_recovery, and consider the effects the attacks of September 11, 2001, have had on technology recovery efforts.
Write a two to four (2-4) page paper in which you:
- Explain how the attacks affected risk management in organizations and have prompted an increased justification for recovery-based objectives, initiatives, and expenditures.
- Analyze the use of social media and other current methods of communication for emergency notifications during an incident or disaster situation.
- Determine whether or not organizations need to consider distanced geographic locations when preparing for backup operations / data centers, and determine the effects that recovery point objectives (RPO) and recovery time objectives (RTO) have on these decisions.
- Evaluate the use of cloud services as tools for recovery operations within an organization, and explain how they could increase or decrease the effectiveness of recovery operations.
- Determine whether or not cloud services are ideal recovery options for organizations regardless of their size. Provide a rationale to support the answer.
- Use at least four (4) quality resources in this assignment.Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain risk management in the context of information security.
- Summarize the various types of disasters, response and recovery methods.
- Compare and contrast the methods of disaster recovery and business continuity.
- Explain and develop a business continuity plan to address unforeseen incidents.
- Develop techniques for different disaster scenarios.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in disaster recovery.
- Write clearly and concisely about disaster recovery topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.