Criminal Psychology and Behavior
In this assignment, you will be using the DSM-5 (link given in the resources), which provides descriptions of psychiatric conditions, including criteria for determining whether a condition exists and treatment recommendations, as well as other details.
Note: You may review the document Accessing the DSM-5 and the Mental Measurement Yearbook (given in the resources) to understand how to access the DSM-5 in the Capella library.
You will view several conditions in the DSM-5 (listed below) and you will begin to formulate your own perspective on whether it is nature or nurture at the heart of the criminal behavior. Is criminal behavior the result of how we are raised or how we are wired neurologically or biologically? You may also want to consider why people in identical situations or factors do not generally display identical behaviors or reactions.
For this assignment, you will review the media Jason’s Case Study as a focus, as you start to develop you own premises of how you would explain criminal behavior. There is no wrong or right answer in terms of which of the disorders you choose. Your success will be determined by how well you are applying the basic components of the disorder you choose.
After reviewing the media Jason’s Case Study, access the DSM-5 and read about the following:
- Affective disorder. For example, depressive and bipolar disorders. Is Jason’s difficulty self-regulating, a biological condition, or a learned behavior?
- Substance abuse. For example, is Jason’s drug use indicative of a disease model or is it socially influenced?
- Anxiety. For example, is Jason dealing with a neurochemical or hormonal imbalance, or is it a learned behavior or a behavior modification, or is there some secondary gain for Jason?
- Psychotic disorders. For example, does Jason experience thought distortion or difficulty with reality testing?
In your paper:
- Analyze the case study in terms of the psychology described in the DSM-5. Note: Choose only one of the disorders listed that you think is most closely related to Jason’s case. Through your analysis of Jason’s case study and your reading in the DSM-5, describe how he meets the criteria of the disorder you have chosen. Remember, a disorder is based on time, duration, intensity, and the degree to which it interferes with everyday functioning (social, interpersonal, work, and patterns in relationships) and not just the observable behavior.
- Determine social factors (for example, parenting styles, rejection by loved ones, lack of limits, et cetera) that impact Jason’s behavior (for example, his bullying, lying, and drug use).
- Describe what you have found in the case that is relevant for a court case for either the defense or the prosecution. Without considering establishing competency or sanity, reflect on the implications of what you have seen in the DSM-5 and the case study in terms of criminal justice for Jason.
Be sure you review the Born or Made That Way? Jason Case Study Scoring Guide to ensure that you have met all the criteria for this assignment.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length of paper: 3–4 typed, double-spaced pages, not including the title page or the references page.
- References: A minimum of three references.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- SafeAssign: Use the SafeAssign Draft option to check your writing and ensure that you have paraphrased, quoted, and cited your sources appropriately. Run a SafeAssign report, saving your paper as a draft. Based on your SafeAssign results, make any necessary changes to your paper before submitting your assignment.