To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the Course Introduction. Keep this overview in mind as you work through each week of the course.
- Review the article “American Nightmare: Neoliberalism, Neoconservatism, and De-Democratization” in this week’s Learning Resources. Think about the effects of political democratic theories on contemporary democracy.
- Review the article “Rhetoric and the Public Sphere: Has Deliberative Democracy Abandoned Mass Democracy?” in this week’s Learning Resources. Consider how Plato’s theory of deliberative democracy influenced contemporary theories of democracy.
- Review the articles “John Locke” and “Jean Jacques Rousseau” in this week’s Learning Resources. Think about how social contract theory is related to contemporary democratic theory.
- Select at least one classical