Gap and Social Justice
The Achievement Gap and Social Justice
[WLOs: 2, 3] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
In this assignment you will create a presentation depicting your understanding of the achievement gap and its link to social justice concerns for one population. For example, you might choose the issue of the children of migrant workers, whom you read about this week, and use your presentation to describe the issues these children face and solutions that reflect the social justice efforts to assist them. Prior to completing this assignment read Theoharis (2007).
To complete your presentation, use one of the following:
Instructions: To complete this assignment, your presentation must include the following:
- Your population of focus.
- The issues this population faces and solutions that reflect the social justice efforts to assist them.
- Ways that a culturally competent curriculum can close the achievement gap.
- How closing the achievement gap can bring about social justice.
- An example of an activity you might use in a classroom that illustrates culturally competent curriculum.
In addition, your presentation must include:
- Use at least two scholarly and/or credible sources to support any claims, assertions, or conclusions.
- Provide references for all quoted, paraphrased, and summarized information from scholarly and/or credible sources both in-text and in an APA references list.
- Display attention to comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics, including spelling and grammar.