MGMT 303 Entire Course Principles of Management
MGMT 303 Week 1 DQ 1 Who Is a Manager
MGMT 303 Week 1 DQ 2 Managerial Ethics
MGMT 303 Week 1 Quiz
MGMT 303 Week 2 Assignment
MGMT 303 Week 2 DQ 1 Business Decisions
MGMT 303 Week 2 DQ 2 Performing a SWOT Analysis
MGMT 303 Week 2 Quiz
MGMT 303 Week 3 Assigment; Google SWOT Analysis
MGMT 303 Week 3 DQ 1 Multiculturalism and Diversity
MGMT 303 Week 3 DQ 2 New Business Ventures
MGMT 303 Week 3 The McDonald s Corp. SWOT Analysis (Paper 1)
MGMT 303 Week 3 The McDonald s Corp. SWOT Analysis (Paper 2)
MGMT 303 Week 4 DQ 1 Job Specialization
MGMT 303 Week 4 DQ 2 Resistance to Change
MGMT 303 Week 4 Midterm Exam
MGMT 303 Week 4 Quiz
MGMT 303 Week 5 Assignment; Case Study
MGMT 303 Week 5 DQ 1 Human Resource Management
MGMT 303 Week 5 DQ 2 Motivation and Performance
MGMT 303 Week 5 Quiz
MGMT 303 Week 6 Case Study Employee Motivation
MGMT 303 Week 6 Case Study Motivating Employees
MGMT 303 Week 6 DQ 1 Leadership Behaviors
MGMT 303 Week 6 DQ 2 Communications
MGMT 303 Week 7 DQ 1 Functions of Control
MGMT 303 Week 7 DQ 2 Useful Information
MGMT 303 Week 7 Quiz
MGMT 303 Week 8 Final Exam (Version 1)
MGMT 303 Week 8 Final Exam (Version 2)
MGMT 303 Week 8 Final Exam (Version 3)
MGMT 303 Principles of Management All Quizzes, Week 1, 2, 3, 5, 7
- (TCO 1) Rajiv just completed a project in which he restructured sales territories, met with sales representatives to help them set goals, scheduled motivational meetings, and started a program of quarterly performance review for the sales force. His goals are to reduce waste and provide improved customer service. Rajiv is engaged in
- (TCO 1) The purpose of planning and decision making is to
- (TCO 1) Nicole is learning to fly an Army helicopter. She is drawing mainly on her ____ skills.
- (TCO 2) A(n) ____ would come under the heading of the economic element of the general environment.
- (TCO 2) Video teleconferencing impacts the number of business travelers who fly. This is an example of ____ to the airline industry.
- (TCO 2) The culture of an organization is often established by the……..
- (TCO 2) Many organizations now have units that monitor a host of magazines and newspapers looking for stories that may have an impact on the organization. These units are
- (TCO 3) Which of the following is NOT an example of a situation in which a manager is likely to be called on to make an ethical decision regarding the relationship of the firm to the employee?
- (TCO 3) According to the concept of managerial ethics, which of the following is NOT considered an economic agent?
- (TCO 3) Because Coca-Cola distributes its products in Israel, several Arab nations have banned the product. Which general area of social responsibility is most affected by this product ban?
- (TCO 2) List the five dimensions of the general environment and give an example of a force within each dimension that would affect a local car dealership.
- (TCO 3) Describe an ethical dilemma you have faced (it can be as simple as admitting you were undercharged by a cashier). Illustrate how you applied the ethical decision framework (Figure 4.2) in making your final judgment of what to do.
- List at least FIVE sources you will use to obtain information about the firm’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. Discuss what categories of the SWOT elements of information are readily available on the Internet. What categories of data are difficult or impossible to find on the Internet? (When using the Internet, be sure to provide specific websites or URLs.)
- Rate,from the best to the worst, each of the sources you indicated in #1 above as being sources you will use in your analysis in terms of its probable reliability. Discuss the steps and/or actions you can take to validate the reliability and accuracy of the information you obtain.
- As a manager, how confident would you be in basing strategic decisions on the information that you’ve obtained online for the SWOT? What other sources of information can you use to effectively complete the SWOT analysis?
- (TCO 7) Workers in a McDonald’s are trained to cook, clean, fill drinks, take orders, and fill orders. During a shift they work each job for one hour. This is an example of job
- (TCO 7) Which of the following is NOT an alternative to job specialization?
- (TCO 7) ____ departmentalization has the advantage of reducing the number of skills a manager must possess.
- (TCO 7) The two universal approaches to organization design that represent the foundation of what we know about organization design are
- (TCO 7) ____ are internal organizational factors that can influence the organization design selection.
- (TCO 7) Heinrich works for Siemens Corporation. He lives in New York City and reports to both the marketing president in Munich and the president in charge of Siemens North America. He works in a ____ design organization.
- (TCO 7) The United Food and Commercial Workers Union has been trying to organize labor at more than 90 Wal-Mart stores. The union is an example of
- (TCO 7) Desiree is reluctant to take a promotion because it involves moving. She knows little about the area she would be living in. According to the text, the most likely reason for such employee resistance to change is
- (TCO 7) Managers should make changes only when they are absolutely necessary, should announce them well in advance, and should implement the changes gradually. This is referred to as
- (TCO 7) The members of the various boards of a church annually hold a retreat at which they discuss actual or potential problems as well as various issues of concern to the members. This is an example of an organization development intervention technique known as
- (TCO 7) Describe the bases for departmentalization at a sit-down restaurant. Find examples of at least two types of departmentalization that would be used in a restaurant.
- (TCO 7) You are the internal relations manager for Elan, an Irish biotech firm, when it is acquired by Johnson and Johnson. How will you help the top management team overcome resistance to the new ownership?
- (TCO 8) The systematic collection and recording of information about jobs in the organization is known as
- (TCO 8) The most appropriate training technique for PepsiCo to teach its employees to make ethical decisions would be
- (TCO 8) One of the major disadvantages of ranking as an appraisal method is that
- (TCO 8) According to the text, performance is basically determined by
- (TCO 8) Ellen claims her job is so easy she goes to work to relax after a busy weekend. She says she’ll never retire. Using Herzberg’s theory of motivation
- (TCO 8) Palash notices that no matter how high or low his production, his boss does not give him any reward or punishment. Which of the following is true for Palash?
- (TCO 8) The ____ theory of motivation is based on the idea that employees compare their inputs and outcomes to some other person’s to determine if they are being fairly treated.
- (TCO 9) Isabelle likes abstract concepts. This trait illustrates the ____ dimension of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.
- (TCO 9) If you perceive that one method of completing a task is the most efficient, but your coworker perceives that her idea is better, the ____ components of your attitudes differ.
- (TCO 9) Dale wants to work for a company that offers stock options. He used to work for a German company that did not offer its employees stock options. Now Dale has an offer from BASF, a German-owned corporation, but he is not very interested. Dale is using
- (TCO 8) Some people get addicted to gambling after the first ‘rush’ they feel from a win. Use expectancy theory to explain the errors in their thinking.
- (TCO 9) Fully explain the attribution process and how it is related to perception.
- (TCO 10) Pick a team that you are currently a member of, a prior team in which you were a member, or search the Internet for an example of a real-life team. Be sure to choose one that meets these two criteria: (1) it’s not part of a for-profit business and (2) you can argue it’s highly effective. State the name of your team list its web site and give a brief description of the team to include their mission.
- (TCO 10) Determine the reasons for the team’s effectiveness. (Hint: You might look for web sites sponsored by the group itself, review online news sources for current articles about it, or enter the group’s name in a search engine.) Consider team characteristics and activities, such as role structures, norms, cohesiveness, and conflict management.
- (TCO 10) What can a manager learn from the characteristics and activities of this particular team? How might the factors that contribute to this team’s success be adopted in a business setting?
MGMT 303 Principles of Management Final Exam – Set 1
- (TCO1) When the dean of the college of business downsized the college from five departments to four departments, the dean primarily was performing the ____ function of management. (Points : 2)
- (TCO 2) State supported universities receive money from state tax payers. Harvard University’s endowment is so large that Harvard is guaranteed significant income just from the interest the fund generates. The ____ dimension of these competitors is different. (Points : 2)
- (TCO 2) The expiration of a pharmaceutical drug patent allows generic drug makers to introduce the same chemical compound under a different name and at lower prices. This is an example of ____ for the developer of the original drug. (Points : 2)
- (TCO3) New York passed a law requiring no smoking in bars and restaurants. Owners who pressure bartenders and waiters to sell to people who are smoking in order to keep profits high are taking a(n)____ stance toward social responsibility. (Points : 2)
- (TCO4) Coca-Cola is based out of Atlanta but reaches into hundreds of countries. The product is locally packaged, but the cola inside is essentially the same throughout the world. Coca-Cola is edging closer to being a(n) ____ business. (Points : 2)
- (TCO4) The growth of multinational corporations has left little room for distinction. Any perceived competitive advantage is quickly copied. However, an area for competitive advantage remains in the level of ____ organizations attract, motivate, and retain. (Points : 2)
- (TCO5) The ____ of Applebee’s is to gain ‘weekly repeat guests through providing surprisingly friendly hospitality, superior quality food, and world class service and value.’ (Points : 2)
MGMT 303 Principles of Management Final Exam – Set 2
- (TCO1) A CEO of a local newspaper has noticed that the advertising and subscription revenue has been decreasing. The CEO sets a goal of stopping the decline. The CEO is engaged in
- (TCO 2) State supported universities receive money from state tax payers. Harvard University’s endowment is so large that Harvard is guaranteed significant income just from the interest the fund generates. The ____ dimension of these competitors is different.
- (TCO 2) The expiration of a pharmaceutical drug patent allows generic drug makers to introduce the same chemical compound under a different name and at lower prices. This is an example of ____ for the developer of the original drug.
- (TCO3) New York passed a law requiring no smoking in bars and restaurants. Owners who pressure bartenders and waiters to sell to people who are smoking in order to keep profits high are taking a(n)____ stance toward social responsibility.
- (TCO4) Coca-Cola is based out of Atlanta but reaches into hundreds of countries. The product is locally packaged, but the cola inside is essentially the same throughout the world. Coca-Cola is edging closer to being a(n) ____ business.
- (TCO4) Eric, an American, is an executive coach at Boeing. One of the executives he coaches is from India. Their diverse backgrounds add variety and create more solutions for management challenges. This illustrates the ____ argument.
- (TCO5) The ____ of Applebee’s is to gain ‘weekly repeat guests through providing surprisingly friendly hospitality, superior quality food, and world class service and value.’
- (TCO5) GE competes in industries ranging from medical devices to appliances to television networks. GE’s mixed strategy is an example of ____ strategy.
- (TCO6) Jay wants to start a new business. With which of the following methods of starting a new business will he pay a share of the income from the business in return for the use of such things as trademarks and business formulas?
- (TCO7) Sears has departments for clothing, tools, jewelry, and home goods. This is an example of departmentalization by
- (TCO7) Andrea had worked in the marketing department for 27 years. She knows the history and successes of the office better than any other employee. When change is suggested, she is reluctant because she remembers accomplishments related to the current way of doing things. As a result of ____, she is resistant to change.
- (TCO8) Fairway Green Inc. has added a lucrative retirement plan for its employees that includes medical benefits for retirees. These benefits target which level of need in Maslow’s hierarchy?
- (TCO8) A mid-level manager has power within an organization due to the management position she occupies. This kind of power is known as ____ power.
- (TCO9) You are a member of a self-managed team; the team has been experiencing interpersonal conflict among its members. Which of the following techniques could you use to eliminate the interpersonal conflict that is occurring within the self-managed team?
- (TCO10) The credit crisis and the Federal Reserve’s response to it faced criticism from Congress. The Treasury Department requested a review of the central bank’s structure and governance. There is now broad support for auditing the Fed using the Government Accounting Office. The change in the economic and political environment of the Fed means the Fed needs to adapt its ____ control.
MGMT 303 Principles of Management Final Exam – Set 3
- (TCO1) Discuss the functions of management. Which function of management is the most important? Support your answer.
- (TCO2) In order to be effective and efficient, CEOs must monitor both the internal and external environments. Is it more important for the CEO to monitor the organization’s external or internal environment? Why?
- (TCO3) You have recently been assigned as the ethics officer for your organization, as part of your responsibilities you have been asked to write a code of ethics. Discuss the three areas of special concern for managerial ethics that you will need to address specifically in the code of ethics.
- (TCO4) There are several characteristics that an organization needs to possess to be considered a multicultural organization. Describe what a multicultural organization will look like using these characteristics.
- (TCO5) Discuss a time in your professional or personal life when you had to implement a reaction plan. How did that plan differ from a contingency plan?
- (TCO6) If you were considering starting you own business, what are the four major types of information would you include in your business plan?
- (TCO7) Define the term reengineering. Discuss why an organization might need to engage in it.
- (TCO8) Briefly explain what is meant by objective and judgmental performance evaluation. Discuss two methods of judgmental evaluation.
- (TCO9) As a manager, in what types of situations should you use written communication? Briefly discuss the reasons why written communication would be best in these situations.
- (TCO10) In your opinion, which two characteristics of effective controls are the most important? Why?
- (TCO2) Compare and contrast the sociocultural and the political-legal dimensions of the general environment, with particular attention to how forces in one could affect the other.
- (TCO3) Discuss the notion of social responsibility. Discuss how an organization is impacted when its adopts socially responsible practices.
- (TCO4) Assume you accepted a transfer with your company to move overseas as a manager within the company’s new international division. Discuss the general environmental challenges of international management that you will face in the global environment that you did not face in the domestic environment?
- (TCO5) The CEO of your organization has developed two potential plans to help the organization cut costs. The CEO has asked you to form a group; the members of the group are to represent a cross-section of all the departments within the organization. The goal of the group is to discuss and decide which of the two proposed plans you should implement …..
- (TCO5) Describe the job characteristics approach to job design and explain how it is related to job enrichment and the creation of work teams.
- (TCO8) Phil W. supervises a group of very competent workers. These employees are involved in a routine task, and the company has written standard operating procedures to cover most of the operation. Phil is trying to decide what leadership style…..?
- (TCO9) You are the plant manager at Acme Plastics. You are running two shifts, a day shift and an evening shift. Before the day shift leaves each day, the workers must get an adequate supply of raw materials from the warehouse for the evening shift to use. On several occasions, they have failed to do so. By the time the evening shift gets to work,…..?