This option will offer a model of the final project for this unit. You will begin exploring the features of an influential algorithm-driven platform: Youtube.
- Navigate to Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/ (Links to an external site.)). You can choose to explore Youtube logged into your own account, or signed out/in a private viewing mode. Keep in mind that either choice will likely influence your findings.
- Explore Youtube, searching for the different types of algorithms the platform is using (some include recommended videos, suggested search, comments, autoplay, etc.).
- In your discussion post, identify and record 5 different types of Youtube algorithms. Using information from “Youtube, The Great Radicalizer” and Algorithms of Oppression, among other readings from this unit, write a brief summary of each algorithm. (You can write in paragraphs or in the following format).
- Name: the type of algorithm it is (e.g. “Suggested Search”)
- Dataset: what data do you believe the algorithm is based on (e.g. “previous searches”)?
- Function: how does the algorithm effect the user? How does it benefit the company?
- Broader implications: How might the existence and function of this algorithm effect the culture at large? Do you see any risks from this algorithm? Benefits?
- Add the summaries to your Discussion Post. Be sure to reference at least 2 course texts in your post.